[Wine] Wine 1.3.25 kills sound with PulseAudio

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Tue Jul 26 18:16:59 CDT 2011

On 07/26/2011 05:54 PM, Erufailon wrote:
> I cannot understand why Wine Team did this. At the moment PulseAudio is the default audio driver in Ubuntu which means 95% of users is using it.<snip>  Why do I need to lose the volume control which also controls the multimedia via hardware buttons?

There are other volume control programs that will work with your
hardware buttons, my current system has never had any part of PulseAudio
installed and all of my keyboard, speaker remote, etc. buttons for sound
have always worked fine (OpenSuse 11.4) It would take some research and
maybe some digging in the Ubuntu repos, but you should be able to find a
control program that meets your needs.

> All that are reasonable questions. Any update should make things easier for the majority of the people and not force them to change their system configuration.

But I don't think Ubuntu users are the majority of Wine users and in
general people have had much more trouble with their sound through Wine
when using Pulse then without it. This has been a long time coming -
people on the list have been answering Pulse related sound issue
questions for ages and it just isn't worth it when the program isn't
necessary.

> At least they could have warned us that anyone who has PulseAudio not to install the update.

I agree that it can take some searching to find 'update' or 'patch note'
type information that is understandable to non-devs, but if I remember
correctly there are links on the WineHQ page that will take you to the
changes for each version. There is also a sticky about sound issues at
the top of the forums the specifically addresses PulseAudio as a major
problem.

All of that said - after updating to 1.3.25 the only program of mine
through Wine that now gets any sound at all is LotRO, sound is broken
for everything else (WoW, Teamspeak, anything through Steam, STO,
Champions Online). And that is with the KDE default sound backend and no
PulseAudio anything, time to go digging through settings and such and
seeing what I can find! :)