[Wine] Re: Wine 1.3.25 kills sound with PulseAudio

mikefreeman72 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jul 26 23:48:56 CDT 2011

dimesio wrote:

> mikefreeman72 wrote:
> >  So for Wine to drop support for PulseAudio
> >

> Wine has never had support for PulseAudio. The "winepulse" driver some distros ship is unofficial and unsupported.
>
> Wine's sound architecture is being overhauled. Some things will inevitably break along the way; bugs should be filed for real regressions.
>
> A link to http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound was posted in another thread. I suggest all of you having sound problems read it carefully.

Yes, I know. That's not exactly what I meant. I guess I should have worded that better. I should have said "So for Wine to drop support for the only workaround for PulseAudio that worked..."

Basically, if I can't use the ESD driver, I can't use PulseAudio with Wine. If I can't use PulseAudio, my user experience with Wine on Ubuntu/Mint is worsened because I can't nicely fall back to alsa. That's what I meant.

Now, if they are reworking the audio code, maybe things will eventually improve. I can be patient. It was just abrupt and frustrating to not know what was going on and why.