[Wine] Re: Is it possible to port (part of) WINE to iOS?

jjmckenzie wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jun 4 18:50:47 CDT 2011

SpawnHappyJake wrote:
> I said that you can place wine ON TOP OF a processor emulator, not that it is one.

This is what the Darwine project tried to do for Power PC based MacIntosh computers.  I was horribly slow.
The good thing is that Wine can still be built on PowerPC based computers and is in the process of being configured to run on ARM based processing devices.  The main holdup after that is an ARM <-> x86 emulator that will not bring everything to a crawl.

SpawnHappyJake wrote:

> WINE is a kernel ran by another kernel.

No, WINE is NOT a kernel.  It is a user-space program the acts as an interface providing Windows Application Programming calls to and from Windows based programs and translates them into Linux/UNIX programming calls.  Thus if a program calls a DirectX 10 function, the call and its data are translated into an equivalent Linux/UNIX OpenGL call.  DirectX 10, in and of itself does not exist The reason I state that WINE is not a kernel is because it cannot run any Windows hardware/software drivers.  If this were possible, many of the complaints about WINE would not exist.