[Wine] Re: Is it possible to port (part of) WINE to iOS?

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 5 01:51:59 CDT 2011

Wow! Thanks a lot James McKenzie! I have a much better understanding of Wine now, as well as what it takes to have a true kernel.

Ryan Woodsmal, l didn't forget about you. Wikipedia has great stuff on explaining what a kernel is. Here's one:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_%28computing%29. Wikipedia says that the supervisory program is usually called the kernel, so here's another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervisory_program. Maybe we can talk about what a kernel is later, I got to get to bed. Maybe a Pastebin or something.

Anyways, are there any smart phones that use the x86 instruction set?

I know that running Crysis on Wine on a processor emulator on the iOS kernel on the iPhone hardware is NOT a good idea. That said, running a Windows program in Wine on a processor emulator on the iOS kernel on the iPhone hardware is a much better idea than using DOSBox for iOS to run a Windows program in Windows 98 in DOSBox on DOSBox's emulated processor on the iOS kernel on the iPhone/ iPad hardware.
Ahso said he just wanted to run a Windows command line program. Something microscopic like that should be able to run on Wine on a processor emulator on the iOS kernel on the iPhone/ iPad/ iPod Touch hardware, right? I guess it depends on the command line program, but I would hope it's small. But James McKenzie is right that it would be ASTRONOMICALLY better to port the command line program to be a native iOS app, but that may or may not happen. Not like Wine for iOS would happen.

But if anybody can find a smartphone with a physical processor that uses the x86 instruction set, that might be able to run Windows programs in a port of Wine well.

Cheers,
Jake