[Wine] Why doesn't Portal with Wine with the radeon driver work?

s3a wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 7 01:57:17 CDT 2011

I am using Wine 1.2 which I compiled on Debian testing/wheezy. It works with fglrx but not with the radeon driver. I am using the AMD/ATI HD4850 video card. The following terminal output shows the wine error and that the radeon driver has OpenGL 2.1 support which to my understanding is at least the equivalent of Direct3D 9 (which is all I need). Also, there is a wine popup for every attempt to run a Windows game (none of the games I have work with the radeon driver except Nexuiz which is native and it works at max settings): http://i.imgur.com/120tj.png.

Code:
deniz at debian:~$ cd /home/deniz/Desktop/portal
deniz at debian:~/Desktop/portal$ wine Portal.exe

Z:\home\deniz\Desktop\THEO~4WC\EXTR~FR4\portal>start hl2.exe  -steam -game portal -appid 400 -console
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100

Z:\home\deniz\Desktop\THEO~4WC\EXTR~FR4\portal>echo > "C:\users\deniz\Temp\tmpfile0.tmp"
deniz at debian:~/Desktop/portal$
C:\users\deniz\Temp>del "C:\users\deniz\Temp\3491.tmp"

C:\users\deniz\Temp>del "C:\users\deniz\Temp\tmpfile2.bat"
Sharing violation

err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering is disabled, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly
err:d3d:match_fbo_tex_update FBO status 0
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000059 at address 0x7dfd7343 (thread 0044), starting debugger...
^C
deniz at debian:~/Desktop/portal$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2
deniz at debian:~/Desktop/portal$

with fglrx-driver installed:

Code:
deniz at debian:~$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 3.3.10666 Compatibility Profile Context

so, the version of OpenGL supported by the proprietary driver is higher than that of the open source driver which is not shocking but what I don't understand is why a Direct3D 9 game is not working with OpenGL 2.1 support through wine.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!