[Wine] Wine-only distro, Virtualbox+Wine to sandbox apps, R/O FS

Fabio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jun 9 06:21:23 CDT 2011

Hello everybody,

at my company we have the need to run a specific window application within a sandbox on windows itself. Anything (including the application) that is not data produced by the application itself has to be on a read-only filesystem.

We decided we'll use wine for the task, within a virtualbox environment that will act as a sandbox. There are a few questions that I'd like to ask in order to achieve this goal.

	Is there already a wine-only distro we can use? If not, what distro do you suggest we use as a base? I've read good things about DSL and Slax, what do you suggest? The boot time has to be short and the user doesn't have to notice it's actually running the application in a virtualized environment.

	Does wine run off a read-only filesystem?

	The application actually needs to be installed on the host system and accessed by wine by mouting the host filesystem within the virtualized enviroment (VirtualBox offers a specific function for this): how to tell Wine where to put the C drive? Symlink $HOME/.wine/c_drive to whatever I need?

Thanks in advance for your replies.