[Wine] Steam Ghost Window??

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 10:24:09 CDT 2011

On 6/12/11 8:15 AM, Bob Wya wrote:
> jjmckenzie wrote:
>> Can you submit an update for that page asking the maintainer to clean it
>> up (that is part of their responsibilities.)  This information should be
>> there.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>
> James,
>
> I might as well set myself as a co-maintainer for the Steam client... I've spent many happy hours playing about with it (both under KVM and GDM)...
>
> I was a bit displeased to see that thehoome maintainer passed this comment through (in the most recent Wine 1.3.21 test result):
>
>> Using Winetricks, I installed: d3dx9/d3dx10/d3dx11 packages, directx9, dotnet20, dotnet30, dotnet35, gecko110, gecko120, vcrun2005, xact, xact_jun2010
> which this thread's op had picked up on... Obviously that's just misinformation...
The installation of DirectX9 should be disabled.  We don't need it
anymore (Dan take that as a hint to remove this from winetricks).

The remainder of the stuff should be checked and verified.  Steam may
need additional DX9 dlls, like dx9_42.dll for some games, but not all.

vcrun2005 should not be needed, I don't know of many game programmers
that program in Visual C++.

The two geckos should not be needed.  Gecko should be downloaded when
Wine is first run (unless that changed.)

I don't know why xact was downloaded, but some games may need it.

It might be a good idea for the sub-games to have their own links on the
Steam page (I don't use Steam so if this exists pardon my spouting off
here) with their own "best practices" how-tos and hints.

One of the best things I've read with Wine is that EACH program should
have it's own prefix.  They are not big and if you have problems
introduced with the release of a new Wine version, you can destroy only
that one prefix and reload.  This is much better than what happens with
Windows...

James McKenzie