[Wine] wine basics

onkeltuca wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jun 20 04:36:00 CDT 2011

Hello together!

I am using wine since several years. I never questioned the underlaying wine techniques since wc3 did run very nice.

Well some new games are out now and some will be available soon, so I am asking my self: Are those games goin to work with wine? So I started to think on wine. How does it work? What is it made of?
With git I got latest wine source code, and I had a look on some how-tos.
But I did not get the point.

An exe file is loaded with the wine loader. The loader wrapps somehow the SW, so the library calls (e.g drd) are mapped to wine libraries.

Can anybody tell me how this works in detail? Since exe files will execute assembler code. Is there some documentation about this? I am C-programmer, so I can read source code. But I need some hints to understand wine really.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards