[Wine] Wine + Calibre

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Jun 24 17:18:44 CDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 16:02 -0500, iceblue25.1 wrote:

> I have installed Calibre using wine 1.3.22 . The program is not usable since adding/converting ebooks is not working.
>
> Running wine calibre-debug -g I get the following error:
>
> Exception in thread Thread-4:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "threading.py", line 530, in __bootstrap_inner
>   File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\server.py", line 221, in run
>   File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\server.py", line 139, in launch_worker
> CriticalError: Failed to launch worker process:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\server.py", line 149, in do_launch
>   File "multiprocessing\connection.py", line 121, in accept
>   File "multiprocessing\connection.py", line 373, in deliver_challenge
> IOError: [Errno 233] Pipe not connected
>
> It seems to me a bug with python.
> Firstly, I installed Python 2.7 and then 3.2... Still the same problem.

Might it be python 2.6? I notice that, in general, python is not
backward compatible - a major design error IMO. Its also quite easy (too
easy?) to write non-portable code. In addition there is more than one
flavour of Python for Windows which may or may not be compatible. I
wouldn't know: I've only looked at Python for Linux and have backed off
that once I realised that a 2.6 program isn't guaranteed to run under
2.7 or 3.2 - a disappointment, as apart from that, it seems quite a good
language.

Have you talked to the authors to see what version of Python they used
to write Calibre?

What flavour of Python have you installed - Linux or Windows?

Martin