[Wine] rift won't start

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Wed Jun 29 12:14:09 CDT 2011

On 06/29/2011 12:54 PM, neganx wrote:
> Code:
> s3ct10n_8 at wreckingball~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/RIFT Game$ wine rift.exe
> err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe") not found
> err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe" failed, status c0000135

Many games have both a 'game.exe' and a 'launcher.exe' in the same
folder. Do you see a launcher.exe or any other .exe in the same folder
as the one you tried?

this part of the error:

err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe") not found

has potential to be the problem. I believe you can use winecfg to check
and/or change the override for that library between native and built in,
trying whichever it is not currently set to may help - but I have not
had to do so for a program before so maybe someone else with experience
there can chime in on that.