[Wine] Re: Can I play a game as soon as it's released?

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 1 13:44:49 CST 2011

RasBas wrote:
> aww shoot!
>
> Well I may have to reconsider the partition solution once again, it seems.
>
> I looked up the words 'opengl game, and found this game list:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs
>
> It says among other tings, that Portal 2 in the Mac-version i OpenGL:
> "Portal 2 (Mac OS X version) (upcoming)"
>
> Does this then mean, that if I would want to run Portal 2 on my Ubuntu computer, then I should buy the mac-version?!

As mentioned, the Mac version is for Macs only, which are pretty different from Linux systems. But if your computer is powerful enough to easily play Portal 2 in Windows, it will probably be powerful enough to reasonably play it under Wine. But ultimately it remains to be seen until the game is released, of course. ;)

Personally, I got some performance out of my not-very-powerful dual core 1.2Ghz AMD laptop. So you should be fine if you have a modern desktop with nice processors. And there's always graphical settings you can play around with.