[Wine] Re: ies4linux / our wine does not have wineprefixcreate installe

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 2 09:20:38 CST 2011

Tim Johnson wrote:
> * DaVince <wineforum-user at winehq.org> [110301 16:34]:
>
> > Winetricks is not a part of Wine, but it is supported here as it's an official side project and its creator is on the forums/mailing list.
> >

> > Winetricks is available from the Wine Wiki (see links at top of
> > page) ( http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks ). Just run winetricks
> > by itself and navigate the menus, or type winetricks ie6 in a
> > terminal to install Internet Explorer.
> >
> Thank you for clearing that up. I had installed winetricks and then
> *ie7*, (see my previous post) and then when I ran 'winetricks ie6',
> it failed to commit because of the later version.
> I will take  some notes and revisit this when I migrate to
> slackware. I will take care to install ie6 first :).
> regards
> --
> Tim
> tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com
> http://www.akwebsoft.com

The easiest way to start with a clean slate (ie. IE7 is no longer installed) is by starting a new wineprefix (using WINEPREFIX=/path/to/somewhere right in front of any wine/winetricks commands) or deleting the default wineprefix ($HOME/.wine). That's like using winetricks on a "clean" Windows install.

If you really want IE7 to work, and at the same time support Wine itself (patches from CrossOver slowly make it back into Wine itself), buying CrossOver is a recommendation. But they have their own support forums you'll have to use if you decide to do that. ;)