[Wine] Help ! Need to run IE on 64 bit machine

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 20:28:02 CST 2011

On 3/5/11 7:21 PM, Godzilla's Mistress wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I don't know what the hell I am doing and would appreciate some explicit instructions please.
>
> I have fedora 14 installed on a 64 bit laptop and  want to run any version of internet explorer so I can access to some websites that won't work in firefox or google chrome.
>
> I just installed wine today by typing "yum install wine", and downloaded IE 8 for 32 bit XP and then when I tried installing it with wine got an error message saying incompatible with 64 bit. I did this by right clicking on the executable and then selected open with Wine.
One, please use Winetricks to install ANY version of IE.
Two, IE8 will install in Wine but at last check will not launch.

Suggestion, use IE7 instead.  I have not encountered a site that relies
on using IE8, yet.  I did have issues with the Web Cache at my work
location, but that is a configuration problem, not an IE problem.

The FAQ contains instructions on how to obtain and use winetricks as
well as other information on using IE under Wine.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

James McKenzie