[Wine] Character set problem

jksljafla wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 6 15:51:16 CST 2011

I have command-line character problems in Wine: some or all text sent from Wine to my terminal is encoded as Shift-JIS, although my terminal uses UTF-8. This makes it hard to read the text. Here's an example, caused by an attempt to run a non-existing program:
> user at localhost:~/.wine/drive_c$ wine cmd
> CMD Version 1.2.2
>

> C:\>ls
> wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\ls.exe"
> ýtý@ýCýýýýýýý‚ýýýýýýýýB
>

> C:\>
By doing "ls 2> file.txt", "exit", "iconv -f shift-jis -t utf-8 file.txt", I can see that the message reads "Õ¡¤ëL‹dKŠ~[“" (meaning "file not found"), but it would be nice if the message could be read directly from Wine without needing the extra "iconv". Is there some way to change the character set of the terminal output returned by Wine?