[Wine] No printers visible on Mac OS X Snow Leopard

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 18:50:19 CST 2011

On 3/6/11 5:43 PM, davelasker wrote:
> I am a wine newbie so forgive me if this was already answered, but my Google foo is not good enough to solve the problem.
>
> I just installed wine version 1.2.2 on Mac OS 10.6.6 using Macports. I also installed gdiplus using winetricks. I am not able to see any of my Mac printers on Notepad's Print Dialog. The only printer visible is "Microsoft XPS Document Writer".
>
> I have tried to diagnose this problem as follows:
>
> 1) I can go to http://localhost:631/printers and manage CUPS.
Can you 'see' your printers at this location?  You should get back a
list of installed printers, even if they are networked.  If they are not
there, then you will have to install them through Apple -> System
Preferences -> Print & Fax.

In my case, I have no installed printers, so none appear there.

> 2) nc localhost 631, followed by entering text, returns HTML with a 405 error.
>
> 3) I ran the command: cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=cups
>
> 4) I tried to Add Printers in the wine environment, but I can't figure out how. The Print dialog doesn't have an "Add Printer" button. The Control Panel doesn't have a "Printers and Faxes" applet.

This does not work.  Your printer HAS to be available through CUPS.

James McKenzie