[Wine] does wine opens and works Babylon 8 well ??!!

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Mar 8 14:30:41 CST 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 13:43 -0600, Usurp wrote:
> dimesio wrote:
> >
> > jolianramos wrote:
> > >
> > > james thank you but in windows after installing babylon all what i need to install and add new dictionary is just douple click on the .BGL file
> > >

> > Sounds like Windows associates the .bgl extension with this app, or perhaps another exe that's also installed along with this app, so when you double-click the file it the OS automatically uses the correct exe.
> >
> > Check all the menus in the main app to see if there's an option to add a dictionary from within the program. If there isn't, look through the program directory to see if there were other exes installed besides the main one; one of them might be the exe that actually installs dictionaries.
> >

> > > so what should i do to know which other winetricks i need or to solve this problem in ubuntu ?
> >
> > To know which winetricks to try, we need to see terminal output.
>

> If the association of the .bgl extension has been done by Babylon 8,
> the following command should be enough to install the dictionnary, as jolianramos double clicks on a dictionnary to install it in Windows :
>
> :/media/Xfiles/programes/programes/Babylon Pro v6.0.2 R8 Full$ wine start Arab2English.BGL

To see what association, if any, has been created, try this:

- right click on a .BGL file
- select Properties
- click on the 'open with' tab

If there are no programs listed and/or none selected you can click Add
and then use 'Custom command' to add the appropriate command. This or
something similar should work with any Linux distro that uses Gnome as
its desktop manager. I read it out from Red Hat Fedora 14, which uses
Gnome 2.

I'd suggest the best way to work out what the custom command should be
is to start by looking at a Windows install to see what file association
it uses for a .BGL file. Use that to create a Wine command that can
successfully process the BGL file. Now use that as the basis for the
required 'custom command.

Martin