[Wine] Trying to run RIFT on OS X 10.6 and Having DirectX Issues

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 21:58:39 CDT 2011

On 3/20/11 7:53 PM, Alanbly wrote:
> I've been working for a few hours to get RIFT running on my Mac Pro. I really don't want to have to get a full windows license to play the game so it seemed like a good alternative.
>
> So I pulled wine via macports (I did this today so I got wine-1.2.2). Then downloaded the game and got it patched (my wife has a Windows machine and a Rift account). This is where progress stopped. I find that if I run the executable via the command below it results in the error shown:
>
> Code:
> $ /opt/local/bin/wine '/Applications/RIFT.app/Contents/Resources/RIFT Game/rift.exe'
> err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\Applications\\RIFT.app\\Contents\\Resources\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe") not found
winetricks should be able to help with this.

> err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\Applications\\RIFT.app\\Contents\\Resources\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe" failed, status c0000135

Caused by the failure of the above.

> So I went looking and while I have several d3dx9_*.dll files up to 42 but not 43. Is this because I should be using the "devel" version of wine? I've read that some people claim to have used winetricks to fix directx issues but I also saw someone's thread get summarily executed for using the program. So this is as far as I've gone. Any input on what I should do here?

You can update to the devel version (currently 1.3.16) but I don't know
if MacPorts or Fink have this available yet.

However I did recommend using winetricks to install the dll.  Our Wiki
has a page dedicated to its use at http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks.
Please read the ENTIRE page before using it.

I highly recommend using a separate WinePrefix for your RIFT testing.
That way you will not cause problems with other programs nor force the
re-installation of them when your installation either fails or is corrupt.

Also, it is HIGHLY recommended that programs be installed into Wine, not
copied from an existing Windows installation.

James McKenzie