[Wine] q4wine first start

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Mar 23 16:42:15 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 05:06 -0500, WnDrinker wrote:
> After installing ExUtils-F77:
>
> > Look at the man pages for f77 and make:
> > man f77
> > To find out how to use them.
>  man f77 replied:
> Code:
> No manual entry for f77 (the same for F77).

Its been a while since I needed to use Fortran - a language I don't
speak (I was installing XFOIL last time I used it).

The GNU Fortran compiler is a front end for gcc, the GNU C compiler. It
used to be called f77 and is now called gfortran: I don't know when the
name changed. Under RedHat Fedora 14 the fortran compiler package is
called gcc-gfortran. Its installed by default in Fedora 14, so 'man
gfortran' tells about using the compiler and running 'gfortran --help'
displays its help message.

If you don't have gfortran installed, try searching for a gcc-gfortran
or gfortran packageto install. If that doesn't help, ask on your
distro's forum.

>  There is a file
>
> Code:
> /usr/share/man/man3/ExtUtils::F77.3pm.gz

GIYF. In this case Google told me that ExtUtils::F77 is not a compiler:
it is a Perl module that helps a developer to work out how to link C
programs with Fortran subroutines.

Martin