[Wine] Re: Wine DB question & Office 2010 & Bronze rating.

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 24 19:08:09 CDT 2011

isaac wrote:
> Our school only offers Office 2010 pro for students. If I wanted to install it on a friends Ubuntu computer, would there be any possibility it would work on a 32bit system?
>
> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17336
>
> I noticed most people are using a trial version and not a CD installation with the full version. There might be a difference in the way it activates.... :/
>
> Should I tell her to buy? It's only $30, but that would suck if it failed.
>
> side note: I have 2007, which works great, but they don't sell that on campus any more.... Laaaame.

You're right, there might be a difference in the way it activates, and we have no test data from anything other than the trial. Also keep in mind that the bronze rating is for the installer only. The installed apps all have significant issues. I would NOT recommend spending money on Office 2010 under the expectation of using it under Wine unless the person is prepared to accept limited functionality and a lot of annoyances.