[Wine] Funky Font problems with Quicken 2010

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:21:33 CDT 2011

On 3/24/11, davelasker <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I am using wine 1.3.16 on Mac OX 10.6.7, built and installed using
> osxwinebuilder. I am using it to run Quicken 2010. Quicken installed and
> runs fine with one exception: One of the fonts used in Quicken is rendered
> very poorly. Here is an example:
>
> [Image: http://altosdesign.com/bugs/fontissue1.jpg ]
>
> Searching for this problem led me to a number of posts that suggested using
> winecfg to set the screen resolution to a larger number than the default of
> 96. I tried a number of different settings, and I get the best (but still
> pretty bad) results at 100 dpi:
>
> [Image: http://altosdesign.com/bugs/fontissue2.jpg ]
>
> There are many error messages printed on the console while Quicken is
> running, but none of them refer to missing fonts.
>
> Prior to installing Quicken, I removed my .wine directory, and then used
> winetricks to install fontfix, dotnet30, gdiplus, ie6, ie7, and ie8.
>
> I also tried adding winetricks allfonts (and then deleting Tahoma fonts),
> setting Windows Version 7, using CCleaner and Adobe Acrobat 8 as described
> here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22198.
> None of these had any effect.

Ryan pointed you in the correct direction.  Got to
xquarz.macosforge.net and download the latest (2.6.1) version for Snow
Leopard.  Installing it is very easy and allows you to still use
Apple's borked up X11 (I have not since I install XQuartz).  There are
many known issues with Apple's X11 (lack of xrender is on major
omission we may see fixed with Lion) and font rendering, as pointed
out by Ryan, is one of them.

James McKenzie