[Wine] Wine desktop emulation

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Mar 26 10:19:28 CDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 07:48 -0500, Snowball wrote:
> i still have a problem:
>
> when I'm in the application directory, i can run "wine app.exe"
> without problems. (also simple ./app.exe works)
> if I'm anywhere alse "wine [Path to .exe]/app.exe" fails with many
> errors. (that's bad, since menu entrys dont work)

That's how Windows programs are designed to be run: they can't find name
the directory they were launched from, so if a program needs to load
DLLs or read config. files from it it will fail if you try to run it
with the "wine part-to-program-directory\program.exe" type of command.
Presumably command.com / cmd.exe compensate for this behaviour. Linux
programs are designed to load from a completely different directory
(i.e. one on the search path) than your current working directory, so
this isn't a problem for them and a Linux shell doesn't need to do
anything apart from finding and starting the executable.

> I'm freshly using wine 1.3.16 since yesterday, but i actually don't
> know whether it worked before

Its always been a gotcha for programs that need to read stuff out of the
directory they were loaded from.

Martin