[Wine] Re: Wine: font shows blank squares instead of characters.

stablelad wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 31 23:54:34 CDT 2011

[quote="Billy T"]If you're on a Mac, and have installed MS Office 2011, you may get problems with fonts.  It seems that microsoft have decided to change some of the system fonts with their own versions - look in /Library/Fonts and you will see that some of the font files (eg Arial, Times, Verdana, Wingdings) are now links to the MS Fonts. MS moved the originals to /Library/Fonts\ Disabled/) but the links from your wine prefix fonts to these are now broken.

To fix, you need to recreate the links in the Windows\Fonts directory. Easiest is just to delete the font files (aliases) in there and create new shortcuts from the /Library/Fonts folder.[/quote]

I need some help as I am obviously doing something wrong. Have recreated the aliases but the two programs I run on wine - Legacy and Quickbooks - are still not showing the correct fonts. I have tried clearing all font caches, downloaded and reinstalled Wine and Legacy, closed and rebooted all to no avail. The only thing I have noticed is that the aliases that I created from the originals all have an "open with" default of Text Editor App while the aliases that were there before have an "open with" default of Font Book App. Have tried to reset the aliases to use Font Book App but this does not work and the aliases remain as text editor default.

What am I doing wrong?