[Wine] Re: Is there a difference...? [question]

DIFTOW wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 1 13:35:35 CDT 2011

vitamin wrote:

> DIFTOW wrote:
> > Is there a difference in performance, if the application is installed with Wine instead of on Windows 7? Does it perform better on Linux, or is it the same?
>
> That depends on what performance you are talking about here. From your last posts its seems you talking about D3D performance.
>
> The answer is yes, there is a huge difference in D3D performance between Wine and Windows. By definition Wine would be at best 50% slower then native. In most cases it's 75%+ slower on modern games.

I know this of course. I knew I was going to confuse everyone about what I meant cause it is just one of those things that is not easy to explain.

I meant, I have steam installed on Windows 7, on a separate partition.
Then in Ubuntu, I run Wine, and load the exe. So I'm booting the already installed program.

Well, I tried installing Steam using Wine, to see if it improves performance versus just executing an exe that is installed on Windows 7.

But I found out that it actually makes no difference at all. So there seems to be little to no need to install programs with Wine. All it appears to do, over just simply executing an existing EXE, is create 'icons' and a listing of the program in Ubuntu.

Maybe it might better integrate it with the UI, but that is a big maybe.

So I sort of answered my own question by trying both ways out.

But to move on to a different focus. Would a Mac version of Half-Life 2 emulate better on Linux since it uses OpenGL?