[Wine] Re: Is there a difference...? [question]

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 1 14:04:51 CDT 2011

DIFTOW wrote:

> I meant, I have steam installed on Windows 7, on a separate partition.
> Then in Ubuntu, I run Wine, and load the exe. So I'm booting the already installed program.

your just asking for a world of hurt running programs off a NTFS partition.  If its working... you are lucky... but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

DIFTOW wrote:

> But I found out that it actually makes no difference at all. So there seems to be little to no need to install programs with Wine. All it appears to do, over just simply executing an existing EXE, is create 'icons' and a listing of the program in Ubuntu.

just because in your very limited tests that you have not noticed a difference, doesn't mean there is no difference.  It also doesn't mean that because it works for 1 program that it will work for others.  There are many programs that won't work at all if they are not installed in Wine.

DIFTOW wrote:

> But to move on to a different focus. Would a Mac version of Half-Life 2 emulate better on Linux since it uses OpenGL?

how would you do that? The Mac version is native OSX quartz... opengl or not, you'd have to port it all to X11.  i don't know of any program that can emulate or run that on Linux.