[Wine] Alsa: underrun occured

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Sun May 1 16:02:57 CDT 2011

>Wine does not directly support PA nor should it.  Adding a compatibility
layer just slows things down (witness DirectX -> OpenGL in Wine.)

I agree with you hear (don't mind the pun), but just watch as the
gnome-developers, as of gnome3 - are probably going to expect you guys to
integrate PA. As Pulseaudio is now the default soundserver, and is
integrated in Gnome-Shell. And there are lots of developers who think it
should be the default for the linux desktop in general (which i disagree -
ALSA integration is more important).

>Wine should not support PA, but support either ALSA or OSS (and OSS is NOT
dead.)

Okay, not dead, just not packaged as a default in any Linux distribution
that i can think of, and in particular, not supported in most modern audio
applications written for linux. Obviously there are exceptions, that i
should have considered before i posted that, like Unix systems that are
using OSS. but OSS is going to eventually be a dead/obsolete project in
Linux ~ i think that's pretty hard to argue.

I haven't used OSS in years.

jordan