[Wine] Is there a difference...? [question]

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:10:32 CDT 2011

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 6:04 PM, DanKegel <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Some applications -- those that rely on registry entries or DLLs created by
> their installer -- won't work if you run the copy you installed on
> Windows.
>
> The workaround is to copy over the missing bits,
> but it's easier to just run the installer in Wine.

One point of clarification and this is something I did while testing
OpenOffice/Linux and Microsoft Office interoperability:  Keep a FAT32
partition on your system for data files.  This can be for games and
productivity files.  This permits passing files between
Windows(whatever) and Linux.  I did the same thing with a USB
removable drive.  Using NTFS may mess up file permissions and using
Linux native file systems can cause problems while in Windows.

Thus you can and should install programs in Wine and then point the
Save file location to the FAT32 area.

James McKenzie