[Wine] Re: Caution when deleting .wine ...

topher.becca wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 2 16:35:32 CDT 2011

jjmckenzie wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:16 AM, topher.becca <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>

> > When I entered 'rm -rf ~/.wine' it says:
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Inbox Toolbar: Permission denied
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/Program Files: Directory not empty
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Inbox Toolbar: Permission denied
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu/Programs: Directory not empty
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu: Directory not empty
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users: Directory not empty
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles: Directory not empty
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows: Directory not empty
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c: Directory not empty
> > rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine: Directory not empty
> >
> > What does this mean?
> >
> This means that your user does not 'own' the files.  Did you by chance
> run Wine as root or through sudo?  The Wine FAQ has instructions on
> how to fix file permissions.  It appears that you are using a Mac, and
> I highly recommend switching $HOME and then running sudo rm -rf .wine.
> NEVER RUN WINE AS SUDO unless recommended and then you will have to
> fix file permissions before running Wine again as your user.
>
> Location of file permissions fix:
>
> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8b89c928ce782c014b8b312469223296093e1484
>
> James McKenzie

Actually, I'm the owner of the whole computer, so I should own all the files. Also, what is SUDO? I'm not sure as to what that is exactly. I am using a Mac, but could you walk me through? Whenever I remove Wine, and then reinstall it, I can go to the File Manager, click Shell, and go to the trash that has the icon of a trash can, and it still shows everything I have deleted, and I want to remove that.

Thanks.