[Wine] Re: Wine integration in Ubuntu 11.04

Bob Wya wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue May 3 12:15:17 CDT 2011

Martin Gregorie wrote:

Are you aware that Gnome 3 is about to replace Gnome 2 in the upcoming
Fedora 15 release and its reportedly fairly different to Gnome 2.

If you want a look, this page
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/15-Beta/
says where to get it from as an ISO image.

Martin[/quote]

Now really OT...  [Rolling Eyes]

Yeh I have watched a promo video Gnome 3. I wasn't exactly awe struck by what was being offered!  8)

My current preferred Desktop setup is to use Linux-Mint KDE base (KVM+Kicker) with an GTK AWN dock+DockbarX. In terms of usability, looks and productivity for a 'Poweruser' that combination completely outstrips Windows 7 (which is good in itself and has an excellent Desktop Manager UI).

Now if someone could port DockbarX properly to KVM (as a panel plugin) that would be sweet! I have read some of the KVM developer comments and they come over as saying 'we know how the UI should look - you think you want a dock - but you don't really'! The more choice a user is offered the more likely they are to find a setup that matches their particular needs...

The Gnome development teams marginalizing of Unity is another really stupid management decision. Mark Shuttleworth was quite clear that he wanted the concepts from Unity to be ported to and available in Gnome as well. It could have been a real win-win situation for the end-users.

These development teams need to stop working so much in isolation and actually look at what is good in the other teams portfolios (including 3-party add-ons) and adopt some of them...

Bob