[Wine] Re: Switching to 16-bit colour depth (from 24) - is it possible?

James_Huk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed May 4 13:53:31 CDT 2011

@vitamin:

> No, you have to start separate X server with 16-bit color.

True, but we can get "around" this by using "xinit" like this:

Code:
xinit /usr/bin/xterm -- :1 -ac -depth 16

(setting allowed_users=anybody in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config, maybe required first).

> However keep in mind both Nvidia and ATI drivers have issues with accelerating anything other then 24/32 bit modes.

Where did You get that information from? OK, I don't know about ATI, but I use NVIDIA in 16 bit quite often, and it works like a charm.