[Wine] Re: WineLib some questions...

DanKegel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 7 12:16:18 CDT 2011

James_Huk wrote:

> 1.Let's assume we have a source code from some old Windos program for example: a game that useed D3D6, and was released around year 2000, we know that this program works perfectly under wine - am I correct in assuming, that - with the use of winelib - we could compile the source, and create a Linux/BSD/Solaris/whatever executable?

No.  The result will still need to be run under Wine.  (You could
bundle the app with an isolate version of wine, though, like Picasa did.)

Winelib is useful primarily for non-x86 platforms.

James_Huk wrote:

> 2.We have a source of some new fancy game that use pixelshader, verhexshaders and so on...
> Again - assuming this game, works perfectly under  wine, would it be possible to compile the code with winelib, and if so - would that speed up the game by "translating" HLSL to GLSL during compilation (so the translation wouldn't have to occure "on the fly", when the program is running)?

Not trivially, although with the source, you would be in a pretty
good position to find and avoid the bottlenecks.

winelib is not the solution, though.  You're better off just building
a windows .exe with visual studio, and running it under wine,
except in rather special circumstances.