[Wine] Problem with a program called winbox

Butch Evans butche at butchevans.com
Tue May 10 14:29:02 CDT 2011

This winbox application is one that I use to manage routers for myself
and my customers, so it is unlikely that there are many others trying to
use it.  I have used this program (through several versions of the
program itself) on my Fedora laptop from FC8 all the way to Fedora 14.
I don't know what wine versions that spans, but it's over 5 years and it
has worked flawlessly.  When I first tried to run that application on my
old laptop, I had some problems in the terminal portion of the
application (see pictures).  After some reading, I discovered the MS
Core fonts needed to be installed.  I installed (on my old laptop) the
msttcorefonts package and the winbox app has worked ever since with
absolutely no problems.  My old laptop is currently running wine 1.3.12.

First, some images showing the problem:

This one shows how the app looks when it is working correctly:
http://www.butchevans.com/images/winboxworking.png

This one shows the problem:
http://www.butchevans.com/images/winboxproblem.png

In the above image, you can see the terminal application window is
completely black other that SOME of the text in the window.  Here's
another image:
http://www.butchevans.com/images/winboxproblem2.png
In this image, I caused a bit of text to be output to the terminal.  You
can see that some of the text is obscured by the black.  Here's the odd
part:
http://www.butchevans.com/images/winboxproblem3.png

In this image, all I did was "highlight" the text in the terminal
window.  All text is visible in this way.

I have started winbox from the command line with WINDEBUG set and I see
(among other things) these types of errors:
warn:font:AddFontToList Unable to load font
"/home/butche/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Fonts/vgaoem.fon"/(nil) err =
1

(sorry for the line wrap).  I also see errors that are "AddFontToList
Ignoring font" instead of "Unable to load".  I see either "Unable to
load" OR "Ignoring font" errors for these fonts (not both for any one
font).  I suspect that this is where my problem is coming from, as the
images shown above are very similar to the problem I had on my old
laptop prior to installing the msttcorefonts package.

I installed the msttcorefonts package on my new laptop (where those
images come from).  I have copied the fonts to
~.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts, I have copied them
to /use/share/wine/fonts.  I have have removed the .wine dir (to create
a new "virgin" wine bottle (or whatever it's called...sorry if that's
not the correct term).  I see absolutely no change in the program.

After discussing this issue with a couple of people at #winehq, I
downloaded a liveCD of Ubuntu, installed wine and msttcorefonts and ran
the winbox app there.  In that environment, it ran perfectly.  I know
this is not a limitation of my hardware, but a configuration error
somewhere.

I am at a loss and really need to get this fixed.  I am at a point where
I'd be willing to pay for some help, but if anyone has ideas, please let
me know where to begin.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *
*            NOTE MY NEW NUMBER:  702-537-0979                     *