[Wine] Gaining performance by disabling functionality?

lbm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 13 11:23:31 CDT 2011

As most Wine users probably know, running applications using Wine won't (in most cases) give you the same performance as running the application in native Windows. From my experience this is especially true when it comes to applications that make use of Direct3D, and I suppose the performance drop is (at least in part) due to the translation of Direct3D to OpenGL in Wine.

Now, this got me thinking, could one gain performance by intentionally disabling functionality in Wine?

Let's say for example that some D3D function that's translated to the corresponding OGL function gives you a drop in performance. Would simply dropping the translation of those D3D functions in Wine give you a performance boost?

I'm no experienced programmer and I know this would pretty much go against the purpose of Wine, but would it actually work for the single user who's already tweaked everything else and still would like to see better performance to the price of some functionality?