[Wine] 64 bit application on 32 bit machine

Jake Thomas jthomas97411 at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 19:16:56 CDT 2011

"I downloaded an application DfuSe, and tried to install it... and found that it
was a 64 bit application... 800Mc/s Athlon processor, running 32 bit
architecture..."

Will this help?:
https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/ARM%20CortexM3%20STM32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fpublic%2FSTe2ecommunities%2Fmcu%2FLists%2FARM%20CortexM3%20STM32%2FDFuSe%20applet%20on%20Linux&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D758000626BE2B829C32145B9EB5739142DC17E&currentviews=609

This is a good reminder to be aware of the experimental WINE64, speaking of 64
bit. It doesn't particularly help you in this case, but for future reference, if
you try to run this 64 bit program in 64 bit Linux on a 64 bit machine, you
might be able to run this program in WINE64.

I contemplated whether or not it would be worth posting a long-winded deal going
into every possible combination of (32 bit or 64 bit of each of the following):
end (Windows) application, WINE, Linux, and processor; and say which
combinations are possible, and which aren't, and why - just to iron out all the
wrinkles. I determined that if I put in PasteBin, I couldn't possibly get anyone
P.O.ed, so why not? And I never used PasteBin before, so it was good for me to
get an account and "practice". Here it is: http://pastebin.com/Xu76cb8z .
Someone might be glad it's there. I talk about processor emulators and bitage
conflictions and bitage non-conflictions.

Here's the meat and potato sources I reference amongst the long-windedness:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/emulators/pc.shtml
(and the first one in my reply that's really long and ends in "=609")

You sound like you know what you are doing, but Wikipedia/ something else search
your processor's hardware name to make sure it really is only 32 bit. (see
paragraph 26...I was duped into thinking my processor was 32 bit when it was
actually 64 bit, because I was booted into a 32 bit OS, and it reports itself as
such for compatibility.) I couldn't get a definitive answer from a semi-quick
searching, but since it's on Wikipedia's "List of AMD Athlon microprocessors"
and not on Wikipedia's  "List of AMD Athlon 64 microprocessors," it's probably
32 bit. Cpu-world didn't say either.

Cheers,
Jake