[Wine] Re: Just installed wine...

James_Huk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 15 01:48:40 CDT 2011

@ryan woodsmall && @roelpaulo:

Please stop posting misinformation! @jjmckenzie said it already, but I will say it again:

SOME apps must be reinstalled, SOME don't. From my experience it goes like this:

Games - about 99% works without reinstalation (some games use registry to store information like serial number - very, very, VERY bad idea - those usually must be reinstalled, or their registry key imported from Windos installation)

Professional software - about 90% MUST be reinstalled - this is because, most of this programs  uploads additional dll's and other components into Windos system/system32 folder, and create hell of a lot registry entries

In other words - IT DEPENDS ON THE SOFTWARE if it must be reinstalled or not.

I suggest you first try out your software like this:

Code:
wine start /Unix /path/to/the/exe

If that doesn't work, and you are sure this is not wine's fault - reinstall.