[Wine] Questions about compiling wine from Git

hiula wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 15 11:59:11 CDT 2011

Hello folks. I'm new to wine and trying to understand some aspects of compiling wine from source and local git. I've already learnt a little about how to do regression testing, compile a specific version of Wine from local git repository, but some things are still unclear to me.

I figured out what "make clean" and "make" commands are to do. The first one is to delete all the binaries (e.g., object files and executables) of current directory. The second is to turn source files to binary files according to instructions inside of these files. I'm totally confused about "make depend". Say, I decided to compile wine-1.1.10 from git. I executes such a command:

Code:
git reset --hard wine-1.1.10

I ran ./configure and, in the very end, it traced:

Code:
Configure: Finished. Do 'make depend && make' to compile Wine.

then I specified that Git must set its "position" to wine-1.3.18:

Code:
git reset --hard wine-1.3.18

It traced:

Code:
Configure: Finished. Do 'make' to compile Wine.

And I found this point on make's manual: http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Automatic-Prerequisites
Does it mean that 'make depend' is not needed any longer? If yes, then why is it mentioned as required here:
http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting#head-089a0426c963d62c05b11cd57ebbf3305c5053aa
and here
http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting#head-05e42bb1e9c9659783d6280064efa19699cac713
and here