[Wine] Problem with a program called winbox

Butch Evans butche at butchevans.com
Mon May 16 13:56:30 CDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 20:33 -0500, Butch Evans wrote:
> Thanks for the input.  I now have  a game plan to move forward.  FWIW,
> when I ran Ubuntu live cd a few days ago, the specific issue I was
> having did not exist.  Perhaps I'll just switch to Ubuntu, though I
> don't like the sound of that very much...thanks again!

For the archives, here is the solution to this issue.

I have been told that there are several other programs that have a
similar issue when using these simply UI interfaces.

One fix is to downgrade the x11 intel driver to 2.11.0.  I was using
2.12.0 (newer for Ubuntu tests) and this problem happened in every
distribution I tried.  I downgraded this driver and problem was solved.

Another fix to this issue is to add a registry key as follows:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\X11 Driver]
"ClientSideWithRender"="N"

I'm not sure what this does, however when I added that key to the wine
registry, the problem was solved even with the newer x11 intel driver.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *
*            NOTE MY NEW NUMBER:  702-537-0979                     *