[Wine] Re: Bully works on mac?!

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 21 08:58:12 CDT 2011

Raffhell wrote:

> doh123 wrote:
> > I simply try to make Wineskin a good tool with tons of customization options to get programs working.
>

> It seems to be another cool project... I hope there was for linux too...
> So, basically, the bully wrapper could be an hard patched wine? :|

Mac OS X has "bundles" which are different to most other OSes.  When you look in Finder and see something like MyProgram.app which you double click to run, its not really a file like it looks like, but a folder... it will have a structure inside.  Wineskin uses this to make app bundles like this tha are real mac apps, with all the libraries (Wine, X11 and such) all inside the app as well, including the wineprefix and everything needed.  Its also all done in ObjC/Cocoa.

If I tried to make a version for Linux, it would be a major re-write, and it wouldn't be very worthwhile, as it doesn't use bundles.  It would just be an executable file for launching along with a folder with all the Wine contents and a folder for the prefix... it wouldn't be like a single "application" as much, but its entirely possible for anyone to do that... and make Wine portable with executables to run everything... Linux already runs X11, so it would have no control over that either like Wineskin does... it would just be a start up program/script along with Wine, just made moveable, which is already easy enough to do.  I haven't seen a need to worry about making a Linux version... since Wine is already focused for Linux anyways.