[Wine] Weird problem with WINE

Stray wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue May 24 01:06:33 CDT 2011

I'm having a weird problem with WINE. I've tried the latest version from here, the latest version in the Ubuntu repositories. I'm using Kubuntu 11.04 x86_64. I'm running AMD Phenom II x4 @ 2.5 GHz, 6 GB of RAM, ATi Radeon x1950 PRO with 512 MB vRAM. Don't know which display drivers I'm using, its whatever I'm working with. I can play any game with no problems...except for WINE. Here is my problem:

I install a game, no problem. Go to play a game, and it's not taking any input from the keyboard. I'll hit escape to skip the intro scene, and it does nothing. I'll get in-game, hit escape to bring up the menu, and get nothing. I'll even hit keys to bring up a specific menu (like in Command and Conquer 3, the O would bring up the objective menus). It's only in games that this happens. I can open up Notepad, and be able to type. It'll take all the keys I put in with no problem. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall, but get nothing. I've tried with no virtual desktop and with virtual desktop with no change.

Help me fix my problem, I want to play my games (and I don't want to go back to Windows!)