[Wine] Re: Problem with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Jake Thomas jthomas97411 at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 01:25:34 CDT 2011

What file(s)/ registry key(s)/value(s) you had to copy over from the
virtual machine is important info, and you should probably post it
somewhere. Not your actual files and registry key values, of course, but what they are (as in name and path to them) is critical info that might help others (so they don't have to go through snapshotting themselves). Maybe this info can help the WINE development team.

RegShot DOES show what registry keys have been modified, added, or removed. But apparently according to you, WhatChanged
doesn't show modified files. Did it show deleted files? What about
registry stuff? Did it show modified registry keys/ values? Removed
registry keys/values? It had to do at least added registry keys/values.

If WhatChanged lacks in the registry department, you could use both.
That's pretty interesting that
SecuRom is only needed for activation. I'm guessing you found this out
by it asking for the disc in the virtual machine for activation, and
then after activation, it let you play without the disc inserted (even
when you remove it, close the launcher, re-open the launcher and tell it to run the game without the disc)?

Wow. I'm amazed that I actually helped budge this along at all. I don't know C or have WINE programming knowledge.
I looked at the debug output you put in pastebin just to see it, and most of it makes no sense to me or rings a bell. But I WAS surprised to see uxtheme in there, because I actually know what that is. That has to do with Windows (at least XP) themes. I know this because I saw the uxtheme patch as an option in nLite, a program that lets you make custom ior automated Windows XP discs (There's now a vLite for Vista). The uxtheme patch lets you use unsigned themes, like the way-cool Halo 3 theme from belchfire.net. Then I found out the amazing things you can do with Gnome and Compiz in Linux and made a custom "theme" (not an actual packaged theme - just options I set) of Tron. Yep. Kicks butt.
Glad you actually did the tutorial and that it got you a little closer. Remember, I haven't personally used WhatChanged yet, but have used RegShot.

Why would uxtheme be in there? Where you using an emulated desktop? Desktop integration? Usage of a theme?
It also says that shell32<elf> got deferred. I know that in Windows it is a dll with lots of icons in it that you can extract with IconsExtract, which, BTW, works platinum in WINE (maybe I should make a WINE AppDB page for that - I don't think there is one).

Cheers,
Jake