[Wine] How to kill a running wine application

drazone wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu May 26 00:58:47 CDT 2011

Question: How to kill a Windows application that runs with wine?

I have installed new stable version of wine for Debian. Then the Windows application starts OK but hangs for some reason (its the application logic fault). However I can't see any way to close the application window or to kill the application. I tried as in documentation:

# wineserver -k
bash: wineserver: command not found

I also checked:
# ls -l /usr/bin/wineserver
ls: cannot access /usr/bin/wineserver: No such file or directory
#which wineserver
#

However, the process is running:
ps -A | grep wine
 2232 ?        00:00:04 wineserver
 2250 ?        00:00:00 winedevice.exe

This time I did:
# kill -9 2232

But it left messed remains of the application window graphics and I think this is not the way to go: I'd like wine to kill one of its applications and not kill the whole wineserver.

So, how to do it?