[Wine] CrossOver license

kevpatts wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 1 15:07:00 CDT 2011

Hey guys,

I have a question about CrossOver and the LGPL license. I'm looking into licensing some software of my own and I'm not sure if I can.

>From what I've read the LGPL license doesn't allow any product to be sold if it's based on LGPL protected software, unless it uses the software simply as a plug-in:
> A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of this License.

CrossOver clearly is a modification of Wine and uses ongoing code updates. How therefore can they sell it?

The reason I ask is that the software I have written is similarly based on an LGPL base and I'm wondering if I can sell mine.

Kevpatts