[Wine] Cannot start Amnesia nor Penumbra via Steam

Chiitoo wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 4 13:16:37 CDT 2011

Greetings!

First of all, I would like to say thank you to everyone who are spending their time into making Wine what it is, and better!
I would offer my help if I had the ability to actually do something, but I have yet much to learn, but in the future, perchance...

Anyways!  A few days ago, I thought I would play some Penumbra: Overture.  I have played it before, so I was a bit surprised as it would not start.  All that happens is, a black screen will appear momentarily (or the screen will go black depending if the fullscreen is set to true or false in the configuration file), then just nothing!

So I tried some other games and noticed that Amnesia: The Dark Descent does not launch either.

Neither of the games are spitting anything of interest into terminal.  While The Dark Descent throws a list of graphics-chips as usual, and then just dies, Overture says the same as I think the other Penumbra games do.

This leads to perhaps the most interesting aspect of the issue, which is the fact that Penumbra: Black Plague and Penumbra: Requiem both start just fine, both of which I have not played before, and yes, I have tried clean installs of wine, steam, and the game(s)...

I couldn't find any problems with WINEDEBUG=opengl and other channels that I tried, and thought I would post about this here, before going in more deeper, to see if there is anyone around with some knowledge about this already.

I am using Gentoo Linux, and regarding drivers and wine versions, here is some info on what I have tried.  I can not remember specifically which combination of everything I was using when everything did work, but I did get some hints from my logs, such as it would seem I was using  xorg-server version  1.10.4  around that time, which I cannot try by normal means now as it is no longer available in Portage.  The versions that are available are  1.9.5-r1  and  1.10.4-r1  as well as the keyworded  1.11.1-r1  which I am currently running due to this testing.

Another 'bigger' thing that has changed during this time and which I have not (yet) tried to roll-back is the Kernel version change from  2.6.39-r3  to  3.0.6  not long ago.

As for nvidia-drivers, I have tried several versions ranging from  275.21  to  290.03  and Wine versions from  1.2.3  to  9999  and many, many versions in-between.

I'm really running out of ideas as to what to try.  I even tried starting the games with WINEDEBUG=relay, and it made no difference and I couldn't notice anything notable in the output (I did not however look into it too much yet as it was just a quick test).
So any ideas and/or tips would be most appreciated!

I will list below some of the versions I have tried out just now, in more tidy fashion, as well as the terminal output without any debugging channels enabled.

The issue is likely caused something very simple that I just can't quite get through to...yet.
Thank you for reading!

Code:
System uname: Linux-3.0.6-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Phenom-tm-_II_X6_1090T_Processor-with-gentoo-2.0.3

gentoo-sources-3.0.6

gcc-4.5.3-r1

xorg-server-1.10.4-r1
xorg-server-1.11.1-r1

nvidia-drivers-275.21
nvidia-drivers-285.05.09
nvidia-drivers-290.03

wine-1.2.3
wine-1.3.14
wine-1.3.24
wine-1.3.29
wine-1.3.30
wine-9999

Penumbra: Overture (not working)

Code:
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd (nil)
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd 0x4013e
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0080: stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000809", 0001: stub!
fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglChoosePixelFormatARB unused pfAttribFList

Penumbra: Requiem (working)

Code:
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd (nil)
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd 0x130146
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0080: stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000809", 0001: stub!
fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglChoosePixelFormatARB unused pfAttribFList

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (not working)

Code:
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd (nil)
err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd 0x120140
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
Pre-Sort
quadro fx
geforce fx
geforce gt
geforce gts
geforce gt2s
geforce gtx
geforce xpress
geforce
mobile intel(r) series express chipset family
graphics media accelerator
intel(r) hd graphics
radeon
radeon hd