[Wine] How to get my applications visible under Programs?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:43:19 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM, paulckruger <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Ok the hidden folders allowed me to find and click the exe.
>
> IE started once. When I opened a tab it quit with an unspecified error.

Which IE version were you trying to use?

I am not going to assume that you used Winetricks
(http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks) to install IE with.

> It will not start any more.  I created a SymLink on desktop but all that happens is that a blank Wine desktop
> window opens for a few seconds then closes.
>
> I find in /.wine/windows two IE folders.  ie7 and ie8 both contain executables.  In the /Program Files folder there
> is just one, internet explorer folder.

The first two are the the 'real' Internet Explorer products and the
second is Wine's Internet Explorer.

Please consult the Applications Database as there is valuable
information on using IE with Wine in the entries there.

Also, the last that I was informed is that IE8 will install in Wine
and its functionality is available there, but the actual program would
not run properly.  Again, I defer to the AppDb for the latest
information.

James