[Wine] "cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned empty string

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Nov 12 07:55:13 CST 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 06:46 -0600, dE_logics wrote:

> I've not seen any distro which sets '.' in it's PATH.

Fair enough. I'm an active developer and find it convenient to include
'.' in my search path because then I know that any script or program
that I write can always be executed by using a name that is relative to
me current directory.

> Also why will I need $HOME in $PATH?

I suggested adding $HOME/bin to your search path, not $HOME.

If you write small shell scripts, e.g. as wrappers for Wine applications
or as a short-hand for common actions and they are intended to only be
used from one login, then a convenient place to keep them is in a
$HOME/bin directory because this keeps clutter out of your login
directory. If you do this you'll want to include $HOME/bin in the search
path for that login by editing .bash_profile

If such scripts are for more general use they should be put in
"/usr/local/bin" and any associated configuration files should be in
"/usr/local/etc". Make sure that the "/usr/local" structure is backed up
along with "/home".

You should reserve "/bin" and "/usr/bin" for programs and scripts that
are part of your distro. Apart from anything else, if you upgrade your
distro or do a clean install you may loose anything you put in those
directories while, if you backed up the contents of /usr/local then its
easy to drop it back in place after the upgrade or install.

Martin