[Wine] No sound in World of Warcraft - intermittant.

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 08:32:36 CST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM, jjmckenzie <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> JontomXire wrote:
>> I'm running Mangler which is native to Linux, not under Wine.
>>
>> I don't have a USB headset. And anyway it should not be necessary to do this kind of stuff. I don't have to buy new hardware when I already have perfectly good hardware to get stuff to work in Windows, so why do I have to do it in Linux?
>>

> Two reasons: One, Windows allows things that any Linux variant does not.  This has been true for many years (I started with Slack before 1.0 and other non-Microsoft operating systems and have found this to be very, very true.)  Windows allows 'sharing' of hardware devices (and originally it did not do so) whereas Linux and UNIXs do not.
> Two, Linux and UNIX are 'harder' on hardware.  It may take more to get a certain program to run that is only available in a Windows version by using either Wine or a Virtualizer than just straight up Windows.
>
> The solution continues to be a Linux variation of our favorite programs or a suitable substitute. For some programs, the Linux variant exists or can exist.  More programs, more Linux, more programs and so on.
>
> James

My Linux allows "sharing".  I've run WoW/Mangler/Vent (just to hear
myself echo)/Rythombox/Youtube all at the same time.  Then again when
I buy hardware, I make sure it works 100% with linux before I buy, but
that's me.

In WoW I get same performance (and sometimes 5-10 fps more) on Linux
and Windows on same exact hardware (in windows direct X i turn off the
things OpenGL can't do (sunshafts/etc) to test this).

As far as sound in wine with WoW.  Maybe it's cause I use Pulse that
allows these things to function without problems.  I know that when
wine was fixing sound a couple months ago (what 1.3.3?), the
wine-pulse patch didnt' work.  SO I created Alsa duplex that pulse ran
through, but allowed wine devices to gain access to Alsa device
directly.  This allowed native linux apps to use pulse
(mangler/rythmbox/etc) and other things to use alsa device directly
(flash in youtube for some reason/Wine-WoW).  All works in conjunction
with each other.

Or since every windows program I used worked fine in the version
before sound fixes, I could have stayed with the wine-pulse patch.  Or
could have waited for new Pulse that fixes the Alsa-plugin (before fix
alsa-plugin would loose sound after so long in pulse).

--
Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell