[Wine] Re: How do I run a 32 bit windows game on a 64 bit ubuntu machin

jobsworth6912 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 15 19:25:52 CST 2011

Thank you Martin Gregorie and sgsdxzy for your helpful posts.
I tried it and it works. I now have a script on my desktop called sof2:-

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/drive_c
cd $WINEPREFIX/"Program Files/Soldier of Fortune II - Double Helix"
wine SoF2.exe

Before I had a similar script:-

#!/bin/bash
cd "/home/john/.wine/Program Files/Soldier of Fortune II - Double Helix"
wine SoF2.exe

which did not work and I don't know why (both were CHMOD 755).

I also created a .bash_profile file in /home/john:-

PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
        fi

Also I created a folder /home/john/bin
and copied in the file sof2 so that now I can type sof2 in a terminal and that works also.
I get asked for my CD which is there but which it cannot find.

BUT I still have to browse to .wine and then to SoF2.exe right click on it and then select wine from the menu to start the game.
Otherwise it cannot find my sofii_1 CD despite adding D: /media/sofii_1 as a CD ROM in my winecfg-->drives.

I still have much more to learn but I thank you for your help.