[Wine] Re: Remove IE8 from wine

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Nov 17 17:44:40 CST 2011

nameuser wrote:

> I would like to remove IE8, which commes automatically during installation, because I need missed javascript.
> Then I plan to install IE6.
>
> So, how to remove IE8 when I haven't it listed in "Uninstall wine software" but it is for sure somewhere here (after starting IE6 installation I get message "... newer version of IE is installed").

IE8 is not installed automatically with Wine; you don't have it unless you installed it yourself. What is included in some distro packages is wine-gecko, which is Wine's substitute for IE. What the IE6 installer is probably complaining about are the fake IE registry entries that come with wine-gecko. To get around it, use winetricks to install real IE.