[Wine] Re: No sound in World of Warcraft - intermittant.

JontomXire wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Nov 21 09:45:59 CST 2011

dardack wrote:

> Now looking at UK websites.  Damn you guys getting ripped off.  Or
> maybe it's shipping.

Shipping is extra :) The UK is one of the most expensive places to live in the whole world. Check out our fuel prices :(

dardack wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:37 AM, JontomXire <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> > I found that "pulseaudio" wasn't even installed, just the client libraries. So I installed it. Along with it came something called "pactl" which lists all sinks and sources. When I did this, it listed all sources and sinks as suspended, and trying to use pactl  to un-suspend them as per the man page failed silently.
> >
> > I also found that Mangler stopped working, so ran it with "padsp" for Pulse OSS emulation (as I read elsewhere) and that got me back to the same behaviour as previously.
> >
> > I don't think I have OSS installed, so I'm really not sure how Mangler worked before.
> >
> > In summary, I don't really know what sound servers I have installed, what sound servers I need to have installed, or what basic configuration I probably ought to have and don't.
> >
> > I'd appreciate it if you could list me some commands to run to get a full dump of info that I could then post here so you can see what my system has and then advise as to what needs to be removed or what commands I might need to run to get the system into a basic "blank" setup state that I need to be in before setting up Pulse duplex.
> >
> > Thanks for all your time and help on this. I really appreciate it.
> >

> OK I see you use kubuntu, doesn't Pulse come default?  Sorry I only
> use Ubuntu (although I'm prolly gonna drop to Mint or debian as I hate
> Unity).  If it comes default, you may need to start a fresh install.
> I mean as long as you don't have anything set up specific for your
> machine should be easy.  I always partition my drive that 40 gigs for
> OS, rest for /home, this was I can format / to reinstall if needed
> cause I was messing with things so bad.  I like to experiment with
> things, and you can really F up things when you do.
>

> --
> Sincerely,
>
> MacNean C. Tyrrell

As far as sound stuff goes, I did mess around with it a bit, but then, as far as I can remember, put it back just the way it was after the install. And I distinctly remember seeing that the Pulse Audio package (the one with the server in it) wasn't installed then.

The trouble is that I can't list installed packages by type as far as I can see. So I don't really know what I have.

As for partitions, I have about 40Gb for OS and then most of the rest for /data which contains /data/home :) Great minds think alike I guess. I do also have a huge Windows partition on there too for the same reason.

Is it possible you could make a list of all the packages installed on your system, filtering out any that are totally irrelevant, and post it here? I know it's a lot to ask.

As for Ubuntu flavours, all I know is that XUbuntu is supposed to be the cut down version, minimal desktop, etc. etc. and I used to install that one for precisely that reason. However as this is the wife's machine I figured Kubuntu would be more (inexperienced) user friendly and so a better choice.

What exactly are the differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu?