[Wine] Re: Idea to cut down on Distro list

glamdring wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 23 23:17:56 CST 2011

perryh wrote:
> "dimesio" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>

> > glamdring wrote:
> >

> > > I'm sure everyone has realized how massive the distro list is
> > > when submitting test data. My proposed solution is to add two
> > > drop down menus, one will contain disto names e.g., "Ubuntu"
> > > and "Fedora", the second box will contain release/version e.g.,
> > > "10.04" "11.2", thus cutting down on the distro list.
> > >

> > The problem with doing it that way is that different distros have
> > different numbering schemes, and users would constantly be mixing
> > them up, e.g., picking "11.04" instead of "11.4" for openSUSE.
> >

> Not if the selection made in the distro box determined the set of
> choices available in the release/version box.

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Plus the release could be set just like the distro currently is, which allows users to create new ones. So if version 11 isn't in the list yet the user can add it.

To be clear selecting "Fedora" would only show release versions added to "Fedora"

Sorry for the confusion in the first post.