[Wine] No sound on Wine 1.3.29-1 x86_64

username17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 25 04:00:33 CST 2011

Hi All,

Running into an issue with audio not working on wine.

I recently tried installing an older version of wine from Fedora RPMs for a specific game.
They did not work so per #wine's suggestion on Freenode I removed all RPMs and installed Wine using Yum.

Wine 1.3.29-1 x86_64 was installed on Fedora 16 x86_64 via Yum.

Wine installed with no errors and I ran the initial 'wine cfg' without issue.
I am able to navigate through wine configuration and everything seems to work fine except the sound.
(If it matters, I did not install Gecko)

A few different people suggested I run winecfg again with the arch set to 32 bit.
Since most apps I will be running are 32 bit.

I ran 'WINEARCH=32 WINEPREFIX=~/wine1 wine winecfg' to see if it helped.
It puts me in the same boat as a regular winecfg. Audio does not work.

I did a little Googling and it appears that this could have to do with Pulse audio.

[jason at fedora-laptop ~]$ lsof /dev/snd/*
COMMAND     PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF  NODE NAME
pulseaudi 25567 jason   22u   CHR  116,5      0t0 11983 /dev/snd/controlC0
pulseaudi 25567 jason   29u   CHR  116,5      0t0 11983 /dev/snd/controlC0

I've tried killing these PIDs and then relaunching winecfg with no change.
Someone mentioned using pasuspender but the man page wasn't very enlightening. Not sure what I can or should do with that command.

Additionally, in case previous 'bad' Wine install from RPMs was causing the problem I ran a 'wineserver -k'. No change.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be?
When running the audio test I use the default settings of:
Hardware acceleration: Full
Default Sample Rate: 44100
Default Bits Per Sample: 16

When I try the 'test sound' button the following shows in the console:
[jason at fedora-laptop ~]$ winecfg
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 32 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 32 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000 channels, pretending there's only 2 channels

I am using Gnome3 with Fedora 16 and using the sound controls in Gnome I am able to play sound.
Is it possible that Gnome is using the sound devices and preventing wine from accessing them?

General System information--
lsmod:
http://passtebin.com/Sr22K1F8

rpm -qa | grep wine: (Yum installed a number of dependencies while installing Wine but I'm not sure how to provide that list)
http://pastebin.com/L6jcD2Zp

uname -a:
Linux fedora-laptop 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 1 21:10:48 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lspci:
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)

I'm not really sure what else to provide but I hope I provided enough to start with.
I'm lurking in IRC at the moment but may not be immediatly available.

Please feel free to reach me either way.
I appreciate any help you can give.
-Jason